[Samba] question

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Jun 22 17:21:06 GMT 2003

Please see my post for the share printer thread for some information on your
printing question.

> Oh, and I have set up Samba to load automatically when Linux is started.

The best way is to use the startup scripts provided for each daemon
with adjusting the files in rc[0-6].d to properly start and stop these
daemons as you change run levels (start and stop the machine, etc.)
To start any daemon automatically with the startup scripts, you have to
mess around either with some GUI configuration tool (settings), or the
files in /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d. If all else fails, just put these commands
in rc.local

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

To find the files, locate rc.local and which smbd and which nmbd might help.

Note that the startup scripts have beome increasingly complex over
the last few years. Even for someone who knows some bash they are very
difficult to follow, since each vendor does things suprisingly different.

This home brew script does a fine job for me:
#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
 start)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
  ;;

 stop)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
 ;;
 reload)
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid`
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid`
 ;;
 *)
 echo Usage:
 echo start stop reload