[Samba] Windows domain group policies

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Sat Jun 21 19:49:18 GMT 2003

Thomas Angst írta:

> Well, I can't tell you that, cause I don't have any one :(
> If I ask a Windows administrator, he can tell me only on which button
> he is clicking and not what exactly  the mechanism is. But I can not
> understand why nobody else has the same question.
> It is a lot of work if you have to put all the users on each machine
> to the desired group.
> If I can reach one of the Windows administrators then I will ask him
> which colorful button he is pressing to spend a domain user to a group :)
>
> Thomas
>

> John H Terpstra schrieb:
>
>>> What I really want is to tell each client, that this user is an
>>> Administrator or is member of an other group I created for w2k clients.
>>> But all users are per default set to the standard user group. How can I
>>> set the membership of specific users to another w2k group?
>>>

>> Please explain how you would do this in Windows 2000 Advanced Server so
>> that I can get an idea of what we need to do to allow this to be done in
>> Samba.

I don't know if my answer has anithing to do with the reality, but this
is what I understand from my readings:

SAMBA3 group mechanism:
SAMBA-TNG group mechanism:
UNIX group <--------------> NT group
   UNIX group <-|no connection|-|no connection|>NT group
                        one-to-one

So in contradiction to TNG where you would have to assign users to NT
domain groups, with SAMBA3 you could simply use your UNIX tools for
assigning users to groups, the only aditional thing would be to create
the desired UNIX<---->NT group mappings.

This is not the truth, it is just my point of view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please anybody with knowledge correct it !!!!!!!!

Best Regards

Geza Gemes