[Samba] User can delete file when they have no read/write access

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Fri Jun 20 23:25:45 GMT 2003

The key for delete is the permissions of the parent directory not the
file. If a user has write access to the directory he can delete files
in that directory. Check out the chmod man page for references to the
"sticky bit" for a directory. Here is a quote from the IRIX man page
(Linux should be similar)

     If a directory is writable and the sticky bit, (t), is set on the
     directory, a process may remove or rename files within that
directory
     only if one or more of the following is true (see unlink(2) and
     rename(2)):

          the effective user ID of the process is the same as that of
the
          owner ID of the file

          the effective user ID of the process is the same as that of
the
          owner ID of the directory

          the process is a superuser.

Esben Laursen wrote:

> Im haveing a problem with my profiles share on my Samba 2.2.3 PDC server.
>
> I have a share like this:
>
> [profiles]
>     path = /home/samba/profiles
>     writeable = yes
>     create mask = 0700
>     directory mask = 0700
>     browsable = no
>     valid users = root, at smbusers
>
> The roaming profile works just fine with windows2k, and the users can't read the other profiles (they get a "access denied" if they try to access another profile then their own) thats great, BUT they can delete the other profiles.
> It aint only the profiles share but all files, and thats pretty much a problem here =)
>
> Here is a ls of the profiles directory:
>
> linux:/home/samba/profiles# ls -l
> total 12
> drwx------   14 emma     emma         4096 Jun 19 22:18 emma
> drwx------   19 esben    esben        4096 Jun 17 20:00 esben
> drwx------   14 root     root         4096 May 17 21:13 root
> linux:/home/samba/profiles#
>
> So the user esben cant read the emma folder but he can delete it witch is pretty bad =)
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Esben
>
> Ps. Here is my [global] section:
>
> [global]
>     netbios name = linux2
>     server string = Samba %v on %L
>     workgroup = domain
>
> add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g nobody -s /bin/false -M %u
>
>     os level = 65
>     prefered master = yes
>     domain master = yes
>     local master = yes
>     domain logons = yes
>     socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
>     time server = yes
>     hide dot files = yes
>     security = user
>     guest ok = no
>     invalid users = bin deamon sys man mail ftp
>     admin users = @root
>     domain admin group = root, at admins
>     encrypt passwords = yes
>     log level = 2
>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%L
>     max log size = 1000
>     debug timestamp = yes
>     syslog = 1
>     hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127. 62.79.110.
>
>     ; user roaming profiles path
>     logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
>
>     client codepage = 850
>     valid chars = æ:Æ ø:Ø å:Å
>     logon script = logon.bat
>
> --

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D