[Samba] Re: Exec file incompatible with hardware

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri Jun 20 20:15:37 GMT 2003

>Well, we consolidated servers and moved everything to
>another server with HP-UX 10.20 (the previous server
>had the same HPUX version so I thought I was in the
>clear), the samba version is samba-1.9.18p2. I copied
>over the source and ran make, then make install -
>during the make install I received these errors:
>
>Installing codepage files in
>/usr/local/samba/lib/codepages
>Creating codepage file
>/usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.437
>from codepage _def.437
>installcp.sh [23]:
>/usr/local/samba/bin/make_smbcodepage:
>Execute permission denied.

Is "/usr/local/samba/bin/make_smbcodepage" a shell
script or a binary? Does it have the proper exec bit
set?

>When I try and run a script we have that runs:
>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -l /var/adm/smblogs \
>  -s /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
>/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D -l /var/adm/nmblog.log \
>  -s /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
>
>I get this error:
>./startsmb.sh[7]: /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd: >Executable file incompatible with hardware
>./startsmb.sh[9]: /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd: >Executable file incompatible with hardware

Are you positively sure that what ran on the old
machine was 10.20? What was the model of the old
server and what is the model of the new one? The
above error sounds like you are trying to run
Apollo m64k on an hppa or at least trying to run
hppa 2.0 binary on a 1.0 or 1.1.

Can you post what the old and the new server
output when you execute the commands "uname -a"
and "model"? Also, what comes back from executing
"file smbd", "what smbd", and "chatr smbd" on
both servers? It may help to undestand the problem.

>I realize we need to be off 10.20 and that this samba
>version is old, but we have clients we need to
>support that still have old crud. The 10.20 can not
>be updated but Samba could be without a problem. I
>actually tried to install samba-2.2.3a, but didn't
>have any luck. Like I said I don't know Samba, so I
>apologize for the idiocy of my email :)

There's really no excuse for keeping 10.20.