[Samba] ok, so oplocks: good or bad?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jun 20 20:04:22 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:49:48PM -0500, Brandon Lederer wrote:
> My comment/question leans towards Windows here.... I cant turn oplocks off
> in Windows (to my knowledge).  Therefore they are always ON.  If this is the
> case, And they dont cause any problems, then WHY do we have to turn them off
> in Samba?  Do they not work properly?

Yes you can turn them off in Windows, there are registry entries to do
so on both client and server (as in Samba) - although not per share
or wildcard match as you can in Samba. Several Windows application vendors
(usually multi-user db vendors) recommend turning them off Windows to
Windows, no Samba involved.

"Oplocks: nice idea, shame about the Windows client implementation".

Jeremy.