[Samba] Re: smbclient

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri Jun 20 19:52:23 GMT 2003

>is there a way tojust install smbclient ...like from
>the samba source...

Of course. samba-client is always a separate RPM but you do need the following libraries:

# ldd $(which smbclient)
   libreadline.so.4 => /lib/libreadline.so.4
   libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5
   libacl.so.1 => /lib/libacl.so.1
   libcups.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcups.so.2
   libssl.so.0.9.6 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.6
   libcrypto.so.0.9.6 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6
   libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1
   libpam.so.0 => /lib/libpam.so.0
   libldap.so.2 => /usr/lib/libldap.so.2
   libpopt.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpopt.so.0
   libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6
   libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2
   libattr.so.1 => /lib/libattr.so.1
   liblber.so.2 => /usr/lib/liblber.so.2
   libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2
   libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2
   /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2

if you need all that pam, sam, ldap, etc.

>like a make --smbclient install or something?

Perhaps it's also possible, but why don't you do
like Michelangelo did when he chipped away all
that wasn't David from that slab of Carrara.
Build the whole thing and then throw away all
but the above libs and smbclient itself.

>I realize the client may require some libs of the
>server, can we pass that to the make as a param as
>well? liuke a --libexec=X pr lib=...

I dunno. Perhaps, did you read the README.1ST file?
Me neither.

>I am building linux appliance and juts wnat to
>access shares from the appliance to windows smb
>shares... not vice versa... my OS runs in RAM
>only so I have limited space....

Don't exaggerate with parsimony. The above listing of
lib dependencies is for a full-fledged pam, sam,
ldap and puff-capable client. If you build a less
general samba & client most of those libs won't
be necessary and some might be part of the rest of
your Linux environment anyway.

Experiment on a vanilla PC and see how far you can
chip away a samba installation and still be able
to access an SMB server. Good lcuk.