[Samba] ok, so oplocks: good or bad?

Mark Roach mrroach at okmaybe.com
Fri Jun 20 19:44:20 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:38, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Jonathan Johnson wrote:
>
> > OK, I don't have a strong understanding of oplocks, but I'm sure someone
> > will correct me where I go wrong.
>
> Those interested in the whole OpLock story might benefit from reading
> chapter 14 'File and Record Locking" of:
>
> http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html
>
> From this coverage it should be obvious that file locking affects a
> complex interaction of Client and Server protocols and configuration
> settings. Please draw your own conclusions.

Hi, John. I'm pretty sure I "get" what oplocks are for and why they are
good, I guess my question would be more along the lines of "do they work
properly in samba?" along with the error message that prompts the
question.

I think the question could be further distilled to "Is this an example
of oplocks not working properly, or is it something else entirely?" I
hope my question makes more sense worded that way.

Thanks very much,

Mark Roach