[Samba] 'Little' problems with Samba v2.2.3a-12.3 (Debian Woody) and PRINTERS !!

Farget Vincent farget at olfac.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Jun 20 13:14:50 GMT 2003

Le Jeudi 19 Juin 2003 17:15, vous avez écrit :

> But you have not read the samba-howto-collection.pdf, which has a
> chapter on this, which tells you *exactly* not to do this.

I have read the 6th chapter of theSamba-HOWTO-Collection paper and above all
the 6.2.2th chapter named 'Setting Drivers for Existing Printers'.

First of all, I remove all the files which was under my :
'\\MYSRV\print$\W32X86' directory and also do :
MYSRV:~# rpcclient MYSRV -U root%ROOTPASSWD -c "setdriver nss.rdc NULL"

After that I start to follow the 6.2.2th chapter process :
1.)
>From a Windows 2000 Pro, trying to view the 'nss.rdc' properties throught the
'Network Neighborhood', result in an error message :
'Device settings cannot be displayed. The driver for the specified printer is
not installed, only spooler properties will be displayed. Do you want to
install the driver now ?'
2.)
I answered 'No' to this question. The 'Printer properties window' appeared.
3.)
I clicked on the 'Advanced' tab and on the 'New driver...' button.
4.)
I gave the axact directory where is the 'HP4050PS.INF' which correspond to
the driver I want to upload to the server.

All worked well. No other errors appeared.

I looked at my server to see if the driver's files were well upload. And as I
can see a new directory ('2') in the '\\MYSRV\print$\W32X86' with all the
driver's files I can say that all was well done.
But when I use the rpcclient's command, I can see that there were something
always missing.
MYSRV:~# rpcclient MYSRV -U root%ROOTPASSWD -c "enumdrivers"
gave me an empty answer.

And there is nothing else in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection !!!!

MYSRV:~# rpcclient MYSRV -U root%ROOTPASSWD -c "enumprinters"
gave me the following answer :

INFO: Debug class all level = 1   (pid 23218 from pid 23218)
session setup ok
Domain=[MYDOM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian]
cmd = enumprinters
enumprinters
        flags:[0x800000]
        name:[\\MYSRV\nss.rdc]
imprimante HP4050N (1er etage)]
        comment:[Partage imprimante HP4050N (1er etage)]

        flags:[0x800000]
        name:[\\MYSRV\nss.1er]
6,Partage imprimante HP4000N (2eme etage)]
        comment:[Partage imprimante HP4000N (2eme etage)]

> I have screenshots of the right method, but haven't had the time to get
> them together properly.
>
> Well, since the files are there, you should now be able to set the
> driver with rpclient, but if you do it the right way, you don't need to
> do anything.

Are you talking about the setdriver rpcclient'c command ?
Or are you talking of another rpcclient's command ?

> You should not need this, well, at least I have never needed it, but we
> use CUPS on all our print servers.

Yes, but I think the problem is a samba problem, not an LPRng or CUPS
problem.....

> You are spending too much time working around problems, instead of
> reading the documentation.

Yes, but I have readen the Samba-HOWTO-Collection documentation and there is
no solution for my little problem.

In fact, I don't really know if it is a problem, as all works well :
UPLOADING drivers to the server, DOWNLOADING driver from the server
but there are some things that don't work as it do.

Thanks.
Best regards.
--
Mr FARGET Vincent