[Samba] Samba/CUPS Printing from Windows

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Thu Jun 19 14:47:30 GMT 2003

I've got a Samba server that is acting as a member server in a Windows NT
Domain.  I enabled CUPS printing yesterday and have shared the 4 printers to
the domain.  I then added the printers onto a Windows 2000 client, and can
print just fine to any of them.

But I have two problems (read "annoyances"):

1).  When I look at any of the printers from Windows (i.e. Control
Panel/Printers) I can see the Samba supplied network printers, but when I
click on any of them I see a Status of "Access denied, unable to connect."
on the left hand side of the printers window.

2). Because of No. 1 (I think) when I double-click on a network printer, I
can't see any of the jobs in the queue for that printer as I should.

Anyone ran into these issues before?  I have included the smb.conf below for
inspection.

I'm running Red Hat 8.0, Samba 2.2.7, CUPS 1.1.17.

[global]
   workgroup = NESBITT_LEX
   netbios name = valykyrie
   server string = Linux Backup/Print Server
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   security = domain
   password server = file-server1 print-server
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n \
   pam password change = yes
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   local master = no
   os level = 0
   domain master = no
   preferred master = no
   domain logons = no
   wins server = 10.200.8.3
   dns proxy = no
   winbind separator = +
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
   winbind cache time = 10
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind use default domain = yes
   template shell = /bin/bash
   template homedir = /home/%U
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
#=================== Share Definitions =====================
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = no
   printable = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[backup]
  comment = Backup Files from Last Night
  path = /backup
  browsable = yes
  writeable = yes
  valid users = <names deleted for security reasons>
  create mode = 0777
  directory mode = 0777

[cdburn]
   comment = Files to be written to CD