[Samba] Cannot add Domain Groups to Local Groups (D Users OK)

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Thu Jun 19 07:16:51 GMT 2003

>I have searched the globe but alas I can't come up with a solution.
>I am running Debian 3.0r0 with samba 2.2.3a12-3 (or something around
>there)
>and Kernel 2.4.18.
>
>Basically I am trying to add a Domain Group to a Local Group,
>but when I
>do I get an error (From Windows 2000):
>
>"A member could not be added to or removed from the local group because
>the member does not exist"

Steve, if you're running Win2000 workstations then I'd recommend to stay
with 2.2.8a, it has the latest fixes, particularly those relating to
2000/XP.

As for the error you are getting, I have the same error when adding
Domain Users to the local Power Users group, however, have found that
the following workaround works 9 times out of 10.

1. Attempt to add the D/U group to Power Users, get the error, ignore,
close.
2. Open up the (local) Users group, then add any domain user from your s
Samba PDC, save the changes.
this time, don't ask me why, but it does.
4. Delete the domain user you added previously to the local Users group.

I've had to do this for all our Win2000 workstations, its a bit of a pain,
but it seems to work ok after that.  All my sites run 2.2.8a on the server,
and we have a mix of Win 2000 SP1-SP3 workstations.

HTH