[Samba] Quickbooks revisited

Justin Kreger jkreger at lwolenczak.net
Thu Jun 19 05:05:20 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 20:30, drgn65 at ufl.edu wrote:

> I don't know what your setup is but here is mine.
> I run samba 2.2.7.  I don't use oplocks on my share that QuickBooks is on.
> You most definately don't want to.  Other than that I have a pretty basic
> setup.  I did not notice any difference between the file on my linux server
> (primary file server) or on a Win2000 Server share.

> What version of QuickBooks are you using?  How many users on your network?  How many users
> accessing QuickBooks?  Does your linux server run a lot of other server
> daemons?

I'd assume the most recent version of quickbooks pro because of that
forced upgrade bit they do.  Only one user uses quickbooks, I will paste
what he has sent me at the below.  The server has Unison, an nfs share,
two nfs mounts for moving files to other unix servers/monitoring file
locking of unison, and thats about it, basiclly, its a file server and
file gateway to the other unix servers/file storage systems, I just so
happen to have a duplicate server 3000 miles away that won't show in the
browse list (thats something I'm not worried about right now).

Ok, the message I got from the guy who uses quickbooks:

"I am in Quickbooks (the XXXXX-Name-Removed-XXXXX file) and I get an
error
message telling me that Quickbooks has lost the connection (next time it
happens I'll copy the error verbatim).  Then, Quickbooks closes & when I
try
to reopen it, I get an error that Quickbooks is locked by another user.
Eventually, I'll be able to get back in.  It takes anywhere from 10
minutes
to over an hour to release the file."