[Samba] Slow windows -> cups print (Facts discovered)

Miguel Manso mmanso at amplitudenet.pt
Wed Jun 18 16:04:30 GMT 2003

Hi there,

Some days ago I've sent a mail talking about some problems printing from a
Windows machine to a printer installed on a Linux server (running CUPS 1.1.19
and SAMBA 2.2.7)

What was happening is when I send a page to be printed, I way 15/20 secs per page.

I've installed the network printer with the correct HP drivers.

After trying a LOT of stuff, I've installed the PostScript Printer Driver from
ADOBE and it just works GREAT. When I print the page it's immediate. Problem is
that it don't print collors. To make things tricker, it prints collors on the
"test page".

I'm confused in understanding why when using the HP drivers the print process
takes a lot of time and when using the adobe postscript ones, it's immediate.
Then, I wouldn't care if I needed to use the adobe drivers but I need the colors :)

Any help?

--
Miguel Manso <mmanso at amplitudenet.pt>