[Samba] Permissions with CD's Copied from Win

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jun 18 03:32:24 GMT 2003

The parameter you want to set is "force create mode = 0777" or 0666 if you
don't want to set the execute bit.  this will affect files only, not
directories.  It's somewhat difficult to explain (and took me about 2
years to wrap my head around it.), but create mode will remove unwanted
permission attributes, whereas force create mode will add permission
attributes.  For example, if you wanted to remove the word readable
permission from new files, you would use create mode = 0740.

Also note that in unix terms, you have to make a file writable (as opposed
to DOS, where you have to make files read-only.)  It's a sublte
difference, but can be a little confusing.

Jun 17  11:26pm

They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.
  --English folk poem, circa 1764