[Samba] Permissions with CD's Copied from Win

Usenet News news at printingedge.com
Wed Jun 18 15:12:10 GMT 2003

I've recently installed a new server here. This is my first Samba
install so I'm a newbie. We are using RH9 and Samba 2.2.7a. Everything
with the transition from the old server to the new went great. I do seem
to have one little bug though that I've been unable to work out. If one
of the users copies the contents of a CD to the server the permissions
for the folder and files copied are 755. That is that the Owner can
RWX,but the group and others can only Read and Execute, but not write. I
realize the the files and folders on the CD are Read only, but I would
like to be able to have any member of the group be able to remove the
read only properties from the files on the server from their windows
workstations.

A typical share in my smb.conf file looks something like so:

[sales]
        path = /home/sales
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0777
        comment = Sales
        valid users = tweedledee, tweedledum, humptydumpty, horses, men

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.