[Samba] New Samba Server

Tim Rowe timr at compacsort.com
Wed Jun 18 04:20:03 GMT 2003

I'm currently looking at hardware specs for a samba server, its' job
will be to hold general office files, cad / solidworks files along with
approximately 40 outlook PST files that will be opened off the server.

Here are the current specs I'm looking at..

AMD 2600XP
Asus A7N8X Deluxe nVidia Serial ATA
2 x 512 MB PC2700 DDR 333 = 1024MB
ASUS S520/Generic 52X CD-ROM (OEM)
ASUS GrForce4 MX440-8X 64MB DDR
D-Link DGE-550T 32/64-Bit PCI-Bus Copper (RJ45)

3Ware Escalade 7500-8
8 x 40gb ata-100 7200.7 drives

3Ware Escalade 7500-4
4 x 40gb ata-100 7200.7 drives

The 7500-8 will be holding the office and cad / solid works files and
the 7500-4 will be holding the PST files (I thought it was best to keep
them on a separate controller cards.)

Will this do a reasonable job in keeping up with a gigabit network? And
is running PST files off the server like this a feasible option??

Any suggestions on hardware improvements would be appreciated as without
the hardware to test with I'm purchasing quite blindly here :|

Thanks
Tim