[Samba] LAN Browsing shows IP Addresses instead of Computer Names.

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Jun 17 11:06:14 GMT 2003

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:35:42 -0700
> From: "Mega Spaz" <megaspaz2000 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [Samba] LAN Browsing shows IP Addresses instead of Computer
> 	Names.
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
>
> I'm trying to figure out how I can have my lan browser display computer
> names instead of IP Addresses.  I think the ip addresses are generated
by my
> router since if I add a new computer, the ip addresses will be
different for
> each computer.  anyway let me give you the specs first.  Running Samba
> 2.2.8a-1 on Red Hat 7.3.  I have not set up WINS or DNS at all.

That's your problem, reverse lookups need to work, either via DNS or
nss_wins (apparently it works without a WINS server, in which case it
used broadcasts).

I don't know is RH ships with a working nss_wins, if they do, it should
work by adding "wins" to the hosts line of your /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

BTW, setting up working reverse DNS would be a better solution, for
services that don't use get*ent, but direct DNS lookups.

> I have set
> up lisarc to use nmblookup.  I'm assuming that my network is using
> broadcasting to get computers in my LAN since i have not set up any
computer
> names in hosts or lmhosts.  The current set up works right now in that
> computers come up and can be browsed independant of the ip addresses
> assigned to the computers.  ie. if computer Tron is up on the network,
and
> then I boot up Sark, Sark will show up at the first next broadcast.
but the
> computers show up in konqueror as ip addresses, not as Tron and Sark.  My
> very old first setup attempt had me manually adding ip addresses and
names
> manually in the /etc/hosts file.  but that would mess up the lan
browsing if
> another new computer was added to the network.  So if Sark is 192.168.0.2
> and Tron is 192.168.0.3 and let's say my brother brings his laptop and
i put
> his laptop on the network, the ip addresses on the network will change to
> something like Sark = 192.168.0.3, Tron = 192.168.0.2 and my brother's
> laptop maybe something like Bros_comp = 192.168.0.4.  but the /etc/hosts
> file will have the old assignments which really messes up the browsing
part.
>   Anyway right now i think i have it set up almost right since i can
browse
> the network and the computers on the network will be found no matter the
> time they are actually booted up, but ip addresses in the lan browsing
isn't
> very useful and I would like to see the computer names displayed in
the lan
> browsing in konqueror.  thank you for your patience, time, and any
help you
> can provide.

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202