[Samba] which one is better samba or

José Luis Tallón jltallon at adv-solutions.net
Tue Jun 17 08:45:45 GMT 2003

At 23:50 16/06/2003 +0200, Arnold wrote:
>hi,
>do somebody tell me, where i could find information about samba restrictions
>compared with
>Windows Server.
>
>I' m trying to prepare a paper for school, which describe a comarison
>between samba and Windows Server.
>I heard for example, that
>1-Samba is not adapted for great nets?

Just as NT4 is.

By the way, i have just had *quite a bit* of trouble with W2000 in a
not-so-big network, where Active Directory got completely corrupted because
of a malfunction in the domain master. Since formats and protocols in the
Windoze world are mostly propietary and you only have the tools M$ thought
you might need to deal with that situation, we have _no way_ to solve the
problem, other to rebuild the *entire* directory: user accounts, groups,
machine trust accounts, forest structure ... With Samba, however, we could
have simply dumped the LDAP directory to disk, made some modifications if
needed, clean the directory and reload data as if new... everything would
have been fully functional back again.

>2-Samba has not a "system management server" like windows?

You need that for under Un*x ???

>3-Remote Procedure Calls (RPCs) has been not yet implemented and this make
>dificulties to management of Samba in Nets??

They *are* implemented for domain joining/leaving, authentication, remote
printing, printer driver upload/download, ...

>I' m appreciated for your help
>
>arn

         J.L