[Samba] CPU consumption by samba

Massimiliano Hofer max at bbs.cc.uniud.it
Mon Jun 16 23:18:53 GMT 2003

Hi,
I'm having strange performance problems with samba and an application written
with VisualFox Pro.
This application is entirely installed in a Windows share and it has a hystory
of strange phenomenons.

Initially it ran fast on an old NT server (but that server has been replaced).

It has strange performance problems with Windows 2000 Server: it runs fast
with some servers and slow with other seemengly identical ones. The slow
Windows servers show no noticeable load (low CPU usage, low disk usage, low
network bandwidth, but very high number of packets).

I tried to share this same application with Samba hoping to gain some
performance, but it runs even slower (twice the loading time the the slowest
Windows available) and it hogs all the CPU. This last detail particularly
surprised me.

I attach the samba logs for just 0.5 seconds of high load (log level 5). I
tried all I could to optimize samba for this kind of load, but nothing yelded
better results than just the default and I don't know what else to try.
Has anyone had similar problems with applications that try to access massive
amounts of files (and with massive amounts of errors)?

--
Bye,
   Massimiliano Hofer