[Samba] Help with printing on Samba, CUPS

David F. Williams david at onbravo.net
Mon Jun 16 22:46:49 GMT 2003

Hi All,

Having trouble printing to an HP710.  Can print from command line and over
Samba if I add the user to the admin users group as follows:

  admin users = administrator,user01,user02

When non-admin users attempt to print a test page the there is an error
"Test page failed to print...Would you like to try the troubleshooter?".  If
I try to print a file using Notepad I receive the error "A StarDocPrinter
Call was not issued."

I've seen the StarDocPrinter error posted numerous locations (both Windows
and Linux mailing lists) but haven't seen a solution.  Pretty sure the
problem is Samba related, I've tried making the permissions on the various
files/directories more liberal without any improvement.

I've attempted to place the Adobe postscript files in the
/usr/share/cps/drivers/ to allow seamlessly loading of drivers but haven't
been able to locate the NT/W2k/XP file sets (ADOBEPS5.DLL, ADOBEPSU.DLL,
ICONLIB.DLL).  I did locate the W95/W98 drivers and this feature does seem
to work properly for these clients.  Anyone know where to find these missing
files?  Hopeing that this will magically fix the problem.

Environment:

Samba server running Debian with 2.4.20, samba-2.2.8a (compiled from
source), Debian GhostScript 1.1.14 package.

Client:  Win2k SP3

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

David Williams
Onbravo Communications, LLC