[Samba] W2K Domain and Restricted Shares

Travis Kriza travman at marketingtechconcepts.com
Mon Jun 16 21:02:30 GMT 2003

Okay, we're doing a bit of system revamping at my work since our last
file server crashed and burned in a horrible tragic failure (hard disk
died).  Anyways, we've stepped it up a notch with some nice hardware
and the fileserver will be running linux (Redhat 9.0 currently).
Anyways, I'm currently running into an issue.  (I'm using samba
2.2.7a-8.9.0 for reference).

Anyways, we have a new W2K box setup that is hosting the domain.  Samba
has been setup to use the domain for authentication (security =
domain).  Anyways, general shares, like the public shares and the home
directory shares seem to work without a problem.  (For the home
directories, it seemed like I had to add the unix user / their
directory for the proper access to appear, but that makes sense since a
folder needs to exist to be shared).

However, I'm trying to setup some shared directories for each
"department" and restrict access to only them.  Perhaps I am doing this
wrong and someone can correct me with what's wrong.  Anyways, all I did
was to add the "valid users" tag and I put in the username I was using.
  So the share in the smb.conf file was looking like this:

[Tech]
         browseable = no
         valid users = travman
         writeable = yes
         path = /home/groups/Tech

Obviously, I want the shares hidden, thus browseable is no.  Am I
missing something in the setup?  When I authenticate I do not get this
group to show up in the list.

I do get some interesting messages in the log files though.  Here's the
one associated with my computer:

[2003/06/16 16:00:07, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1556)
   domain_client_validate: could not fetch trust account password for
domain MTC1
---------

the smbd.log file issues the following failure:

2003/06/16 16:00:07, 0]
smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_init_kernel_oplocks(287)
   Failed to setup RT_SIGNAL_LEASE handler

-------

Anyways, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate
it.  I'm apprehensive in actually switching everyone to the new servers
until they are properly setup and tested.

Thanks!!!

Travis