[Samba] net groupmap question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Jun 16 07:29:05 GMT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Sameer Zeidat wrote:

> Hi ..
>
> Thanks! It works now.
>
> However, I still get lots of the following in logs (which is why I'm
> worrying about groupmaps in the first place):
> [2003/06/16 10:04:35, 0]
> rpc_server/srv_util.c:get_domain_user_groups(347)
>   get_domain_user_groups: primary gid of user [root] is not a Domain
> group !
>   get_domain_user_groups: You should fix it, NT doesn't like that
>
> What do these mean?

You need to map the primary gid of your users to be "Domain Users" or some
other "Domain XXXX" group.

ie: If your users all have primary group 100 == users (unix)
then:

	net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Users" unixgroup=users

This should get rid of the warning messages.

> Another selly question, if anyone is patient enough to answer it,
> what's the use of groupmaps? When would one need them?

To map NTgroups to Unix groups. Mostly done so you can set file system
permissions.

- John T.