[Samba] Unable to run SWAT

marvc marvc at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 16 04:52:24 GMT 2003

Had this problem after trying to connect using samba 2.2.7. Assuming
you're using the RPM which installed to /etc/samba try this:
Open a term window and navigate to the /etc/inetd directory and locate
the "swat" file.
Right-click this file, select "Open With", and choose "GNU Emacs" or
"gedit".
Go to the last line of the file and make sure the following is showing:
disable = no

This means if you see "Yes", change it to "no". Save and close the file
when finished.
After saving and closing this file you need to restart the "xinetd"
service. Do this by navigating to the "/etc" directory and typing the
following command:
cd /etc
Service xinetd stop
Stopping xinetd:	[OK]
Service xinetd start
Starting xinetd: 	[OK]

Now go back to your web browser and attempt to access swat by typing the
following in the "Address" field:
127.0.0.1:901

You should now see a window prompting you to "Enter username and
password for "SWAT" at 127.0.0.1:901".
Enter the requested info and you should be taken to the "Samba Welcome"
window.
You should now be able to open the browser, type in the Swat IP of
"127.0.0.1:901", and be prompted with the login window.

HTH