[Samba] Samba on A SGI Indy Cyclone IRIX system???

Tony Parker tgparker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 15 15:29:00 GMT 2003

Hi there:

We have recently inherited a circa 1996 SGI Indy Colorbus Cyclone running on
Irix.

Our intention is to use this unit to drive our Canon CLC900 Scanner Copier
and make it accessible to our Windows Network.

At the moment, our Windows Network does not "see" the Cyclone & vice versa.

I have read that installing some kind of Windows Samba client onto our
windows workstations, and installing some version of Samba onto the cyclone
will enable our Windows network to "talk" with the Indy Cyclone.

Here are some of my questions:

1.) Does the "Indy" Cyclone Irix package already contain "Samba" or SMB
capability? How would one determine whether or not SMB or "Samba" may have
been previously installed on the "Indy" IRIX system?

2.) Can anyone on this mailing list please suggest exactly what Samba
software should be installed on the Indy cyclone, and what kind of Windows
Samba client software should be installed on the Windows workstations?

3.) I'd also be most grateful for any information where this software can be
downloaded, as well as any tips & hints in installing and configuring the
Samba software on both the Indy cyclone and the windows workstations..

Thanks in advance,

Tony Parker