[Samba] LAN Browsing shows IP Addresses instead of Computer Names.

Mega Spaz megaspaz2000 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 15 06:35:42 GMT 2003

I'm trying to figure out how I can have my lan browser display computer
names instead of IP Addresses.  I think the ip addresses are generated by my
router since if I add a new computer, the ip addresses will be different for
each computer.  anyway let me give you the specs first.  Running Samba
2.2.8a-1 on Red Hat 7.3.  I have not set up WINS or DNS at all.  I have set
up lisarc to use nmblookup.  I'm assuming that my network is using
broadcasting to get computers in my LAN since i have not set up any computer
names in hosts or lmhosts.  The current set up works right now in that
computers come up and can be browsed independant of the ip addresses
assigned to the computers.  ie. if computer Tron is up on the network, and
then I boot up Sark, Sark will show up at the first next broadcast.  but the
computers show up in konqueror as ip addresses, not as Tron and Sark.  My
very old first setup attempt had me manually adding ip addresses and names
manually in the /etc/hosts file.  but that would mess up the lan browsing if
another new computer was added to the network.  So if Sark is 192.168.0.2
and Tron is 192.168.0.3 and let's say my brother brings his laptop and i put
his laptop on the network, the ip addresses on the network will change to
something like Sark = 192.168.0.3, Tron = 192.168.0.2 and my brother's
laptop maybe something like Bros_comp = 192.168.0.4.  but the /etc/hosts
file will have the old assignments which really messes up the browsing part.
  Anyway right now i think i have it set up almost right since i can browse
the network and the computers on the network will be found no matter the
time they are actually booted up, but ip addresses in the lan browsing isn't
very useful and I would like to see the computer names displayed in the lan
browsing in konqueror.  thank you for your patience, time, and any help you
can provide.

Sincerely,
Vince =)