[Samba] Samba + ldap authentication question

François Beretti francois.beretti at enatel.com
Fri Jun 13 14:44:50 GMT 2003

hello all

I have read all the doc about ldap in the Samba documentation, and I am not
sure I understand how a user authentication is validated by the samba server

In the samba doc it is said that the samba ldap admin must be able to
retrieve the lmPassword and ntPassword attributes of any user

As I understand, when a user authenticates himself against the samba server,
the server binds against LDAP server using the samba admin dn, looks for the
user's password in the directory and compares it to the password the user
provided

Am I wrong ?

If I am not, why the server doesn't use LDAP authentication with the user's
dn and password ?

I think it would be closer to the "LDAP spirit"

thanks

Francois