[Samba] MS Word + 2.2.8a: cannot save, read only opens

Mark Suter mark.suter at miju.com.au
Fri Jun 13 10:35:17 GMT 2003

Folks,

We're experiencing intermittent problems with Microsoft Word 2000
under Microsoft Windows XP Professional.  Here's one of the more
common error messages we get when trying to save:

    Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and
    needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Other errors include files being opened read-only without
apparent cause.  These errors do not occur with files on the
local drive.

Different applications don't appear to have issues, including
Explorer and a large CAD-type program that stores almost all its
files on the server.

The server is Debian GNU/Linux "stable" with samba 2.2.8a from
the unofficial http://www.perrier.eu.org/samba-debian repository.
The smb.conf file is at http://zwitterion.org/test/smb.conf

On Monday, I'm visiting the site and will go though the relevant
parts of MSKB article 236319.  Where should I look next?

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark Suter <mark.suter at miju.com.au> | I have often regretted my
Miju Systems - http://www.miju.com.au/ | speech, never my silence.
mobile 0411 262 316 gnupg key 2C71D63D | Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)