[Samba] Workgroup/Domain Browsing

Louis Nafziger mancini at humble.net
Fri Jun 13 03:54:41 GMT 2003

I am currently running samba on a Redhat 8.0 server, and it is working great.  Keep up the good work guys!

My question involves a VPN connection to the server on a different network segment.  I have the following setup:

Internal Network - 192.168.13.0/24

Red Hat Samba Server - 192.168.13.3 - aip-ky

                VPN

Windows XP Client - 192.168.10.2

On the XP client, I am able to manually specify shares on the samba server using the IP addres:

	\\192.168.13.3\data

If I add an entry to my hosts file, I can do the following:

	\\aip-ky\data

(lmhosts.sam would not work for some reason though.)

However, browsing does not work.  The workgroup aip-ky does not show up, and neither does the server aip-ky.  I guess that I have two problems/questions:

1)  How can I have the machine names resolve automatically (ala wins) across the different network segments?

2)  How can I enable browsing of the remote network resources from the Windows client so that I don't have to manually specify the resource address?

Any help would be appreciated!

Louis
louisn at aip-usa.com