[Samba] root rq'd to join domain

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Thu Jun 12 18:53:59 GMT 2003

I tried this and it did not work. I verified that the /etc/passwd and
/products/samba/private/smbpasswd files contained the right user accounts
(the latter having a W). I am in the domain admin group= portion of the
smb.conf. However, it tells me on the windows end that my password is bad
-- it is not, as I set it right before the second time I tried to make
absolutely certain.

The syslog errors I received were along the lines of:

Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO

...seeming to relate to the permissions on the smbpasswd file (it also
claimed it could not read the passdb database). I have seen John say that
it was not possible to join the domain without root access, but then
others have said that it is possible. Is it or is it not possible to give
users merely "domain admin group= " status, in Samba 2.2.8a, and still
allow users to join the domain?

The admin users= setting might also help, but again, I open myself up to
having users browse shares as root in this case (unless I use A.J.
Dawson's solution, which I have not yet had the opportunity to try).

Can a developer please set me straight here?

|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  |  | Ryan Novosielski - Jr. UNIX Systems Admin
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _|  | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent. | IST/ACS - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630