[Samba] Accessing remote samba server

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Thu Jun 12 07:56:50 GMT 2003

> Hi,
>
> I have a setup where my samba server is located at my
> main office and I need to provide remote access to a
> branch office.
>
> I already have the conection part operational and the
> branch office (remote) uses a frame-relay connection
> to my office (local).
>
> I have linux machine with multiple ethernets serving
> as a firewall at each point (remote and local).
>
> The clients will be windows.
>
> What do I need to change in my samba conf in order to
> allow the remote clients to "mount" the shares ?
> Which traffic (protocol/port) should I allow to pass ?

If assume you want the traffic to be encrypted. So if you're into browsing
the net IMHO VPN is the only way. OTOH if all you want is to mount a share
on THE remote samba server there is a simple and elegant trick you can
perform: ignore name resolution and forward only 139 via ssh! E.g. all the
remote windows clients will run ssh 139:IP.Of.Remote:139 user at ip.of.remote.
Then on the remote Windows WS define in lmhosts
127.0.0.1 		remotesambaname

... Do a nbtstat -R and that's it. Windows WS will be able to do in explorer
\\remotesambaname\share. After a initial short delay you'll be prompted for
a name and passwd. Openssh for windows is free.