[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.0beta1 problems when using 'unix password sync'

Julian Gomez julian at fomema.com.my
Fri Jun 13 15:51:09 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:45:10PM +0800, Julian Gomez @Work spoke thusly:
>That said, I cannot seem to get the above version of the software to play
>nice with the 'unix password sync' directive. Trying to modify the Windows
>Networking password would usually return 'Incorrect password'. I get the
>same failure with WinXP, except the error is slightly different, but same
>result. I have narrowed down the problem to the above directive, by
>commenting and uncommenting other things in my 'smb.conf'.

I'm such a nitwit, here's the logged entry in '/var/log/messages' btw :

Jun 12 15:33:30 cookie smbd[5679]: smb_pass_passchange: PAM: Password
Change Failed for user tester!

I did run across another post by someone which said they used
"/usr/bin/passwd %U" instead of "/usr/bin/passwd %u", and it worked for
them (problem with the sync directive also); but I've tried that, and the
result is negative.

My smb.conf is listed below. I've wrapped the 'passwd chat' line.

[global]
	workgroup = SCSILOVER
	netbios name = OSS-SAMBA
	server string = PIII 2.4Ghz Samba Trial Run
	interfaces = 132.147.160.125
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	log level = 5
	log file = /usr/local/opt/samba/var/log/log.%m
	max log size = 500
	load printers = no
	domain logons = yes
	os level = 100
	preferred master = True
	domain master = True
	wins support = Yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
	local master = Yes
	dns proxy = Yes
	hosts allow = 132.147.160. 127.
	security = user
	adduser script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -M %u
	unix password sync = yes
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	              *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*
		      successfully*
	passwd chat debug = no
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	#passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %U
	pam password change = yes
	obey pam restrictions = yes
	smb passwd file = /usr/local/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd

[homes]
	comment = user home directories -- test
	read only = No

[netlogon]
	comment = network logon services
	path = /usr/local/opt/samba/lib/netlogon
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes