[Samba] Samba3.0b1 Issues with XP, LDAP, and ACLs

Justin Kreger jkreger at lwolenczak.net
Thu Jun 12 04:21:45 GMT 2003

Okay, I've got a decently sized network (well, very large, multiple
locations, and a small number of users... 10-15, but multiple servers).

I've got Win2k, XP Home, XP Pro accessing these servers.  The servers
are running a version of Samba3.0b1 I pulled from CVS a few days before
the offical announcement.  I'm seeing some really odd behaviour with it
all.
I honeslty think i'm looking at client side issues, but I need to
explore all options.

With Win2k, I have a user having issues with lock files not being reset,
samba reports that the client stopped responding after it initiated the
removal of the lock.

With XP Home/Pro I'm seeing some weird Authentication issues.  Mainly on
XP Home, it suddenly decides that it needs to authenticate with the
username "Administrator" instead of the user's actual user name.  What
worries me most is that these users are claiming to be connecting, and
there is NOTHING in the logs unless I turn on full debugging output.
I'm also seeing some weird behaviour with XP if the user's password is
changed in LDAP, but i'm sure that is a client side issue with XP
caching passwords.  Also, on XP, I'm getting users reporting "access
denied" attempting to write new files, even though the POSIX ACLs on the
file system say they always should be able to write.  With Win2k, The
ACL interaction is perfect, I've had 0 problems with the ACLs and Win2k.

I've also noticed some browse list issues with nautilus (whatever that
file/web browser for gnome is that supports getting a browse list by
doing smb://) I don't see all of the servers in the list, this may be
because they are on different subnets, but they are all operating off
the same wins servers.... and I don't even see one of the wins servers
in nautilus or in windows *ugh*.  nautilus never prompts for a
login/password when trying to connect to the servers.  Looking at the
talking using etherreal shows it only tries to auth and the server
disconnects them.  This behaviour on the server's part could be part of
my issues with my XP users as none of them use the same passwd for thier
laptops.

With LDAP, for some reason samba keeps 8+ connections at any given time
with no users logged in.  Any reason why this is?

TIA,
-LW