[Samba] Root user problems with Samba 3.0.0beta1

David van Geyn dataiv-lists at noc.peon.net
Wed Jun 11 19:38:17 GMT 2003

Here's what I tested...

rm -rf /usr/local/samba3 to delete the new samba installation
cd /tmp/samba-3.0.0beta1
make install
cp /tmp/smb.conf /usr/local/samba3/lib
cd /usr/local/samba3/bin
./smbpasswd -a root
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
pdb_getsampwnam: Unable to open TDB passwd
(/usr/local/samba3/private/passdb.tdb)!
Added user root.

The user root is now added... what I had done before was that I had copied
my samba 2.2.8 folder to samba3, and then run make install so it would
'upgrade'. I guess that didn't work out properly.

Now my only question that remains, how do I get the old machine trust
accounts from samba 2.2.8 over to the new tdbsam database correctly, and
also, how do I keep the old domain's SID (or whatever it is) - So that all
the machines don't need to be re-joined to a new domain.

Is it possible?

Thanks,

David