[Samba] Can't use mount command with samba

Rohan Parkes rparkes at email.com
Wed Jun 11 19:11:33 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 17:02, Vizitiu, Ciprian wrote:
> > > smbmount '\\mymachine\myshare' /mnt/xpshare -o
> > > username=myname,password=mypwd
> >
> > Thanks - I'm just wondering why the articles (and the smb
> > usability print out) seemed to be giving the wrong syntax.
>
> It's like wondering why the old printing-how-to doesn't allow you to print.
> Or why ipchains -whatever doesn't work the way it is supposed to do. It's
> the linux way of doing things.
>
> > Another article stated that I could mount samba shares using
> > fstab. But when I tried this, I encountered the problem that
> > the network interface wasn't up in time.
>
> Try automount.

At the moment, I'm just running a script at boot up that executes the
mount commands. I got the idea from a page on JustLinux. Crude, perhaps,
but it's more in line with what I wanted.

I could try automount. The mistake I made in fstab, however, was not to
specify noauto, so that the shares wouldn't get mounted immediately.
However, I couldn't find parameters that would cause them to get mounted
on request.

--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne