[Samba] Add printer driver : access problem

rberghmans at arafox.com rberghmans at arafox.com
Wed Jun 11 14:48:34 GMT 2003

Hi,

The mapping of the domain user is done by idmap. Then no user has a mapping
with uid=0

I've set up a user in "printer admin" and "write list" options. And normaly
this user can add driver in print$ share. But the "add printer" icon doesn't
appear and all the options in "server properties" are disabled.

However, if I add in the LDAP directory the objectclass "PosixAccount"
and "uidNumber: 0" for this user. The "add printer" icon is available and all
the options in "server properties" are available too.

But in printing.html (in docs directory) I can find this :

In order to currently add a new driver to you Samba host, one of two conditions
must hold true:

The account used to connect to the Samba host must have a uid of 0 (i.e. a root
account)

The account used to connect to the Samba host must be a member of the printer
admin list.

Then if I understand a normal user is normaly able to add driver if he is a
member of "printer admin" only. It's not mandatory that the user be "root".

In my config (samba-3.0beta1), if the user is not root (uidNumber=0) He cannot
do anything with printers drivers !

Thank for your help,

Regards,

Raphael