[Samba] Can't use mount command with samba

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jun 11 14:29:34 GMT 2003

I'm fairly certain that smbmount requires the NetBIOS
hostname as the server name, not the IP Address.  (If smb is
unable to find the IP with the standard resoution
order/mechanisms, one can be specified with an option.)

Also, if you are trying to mount a share, you need to
specify the share.  Konqueror is *not* actually mounting any
shares.  It's just displaying the shares and the files
within on the fly without mounting.  (The command line
equivalent would be to use smbclient.)

When your asking for help, instead of just asking "why
doens't this work." please post the results of your command.
What is the result (output) when you type the mount command?

Jun 11  10:24am

They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.
  --English folk poem, circa 1764

On 11 Jun 2003, Rohan Parkes wrote:

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 08:16, Dan Shadix wrote:
> You aren't specifying the share, only the machine.  You should use
>
> //192.168.0.1/myshare

Darn it, that appears to be correct, although I thought I was doing this
in practice, despite the example I gave.

I might have gotten sloppy, because I can use smb://myserver in
Konqueror, and it works.

--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne