[Samba] Can't use windows domain users in local group

POP, Iustin Iustin.Pop at orange.ro
Wed Jun 11 13:17:24 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have the following problem:
 - samba is a member of a w2k domain
   (samba version 2.2.8a, compiled from tarball on RedHat9)
 - winbind works ok, no problems
 - domain users, when connecting through my samba,
   don't get their local group membership info (only
   domain groups are initialized).
 - domain users, when connecting through any other
   pam-enabled service, get their group membership info
   ok (both domain groups and local groups).

This I traced to the fact that in source/nsswitch/wb_client.c,
function winbind_initgroups, it only uses winbind to get group
information, avoiding the use of initgroups for non-local users.

Are there any reasons to avoid initgroups for domain users? I'm
thinking of changing wb_client.c to always go with initgroups,
but maybe there are reasons to use winbind. The windows domain is
not that big that enumeration of groups would be too expensive
(<2000 users, <500 groups).

Or is it possible to get full group information through other changes?

Any hints on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Iustin Pop