[Samba] Re: Cups / Samba Driver Download question

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Wed Jun 11 12:36:51 GMT 2003

>[Samba 2.2.8 / CUPS 1.1.8 / Redhat 7.2 std]
>I have "Windows 2000" versions of the Adobe
>postscript drivers installed on many of my 2000
>machines. Now I am wanting to use the CUPS drivers
>which are "Windows 2000 or NT4" version stamped.
>
>If a workstation has had a printer installed (Say
>it's called Bear) before it will have the Bear W2K
>version drivers on it. The Bear printer will be
>linked to this. If this printer is then removed and
>reinstalled (just the printer not the drivers) then
>it will now install the Bear NT4/2K drivers - thats
>fine. HOWEVER becasue these new drivers are lower in
>the pecking hierachy than the old 2K version stamped
>ones they are installed but not used. This is a
>problem.
>
>I can see several solutions to this problem:
>
>- Somehow get Samab to prompt a delete of all old
>drivers (the mappings not the files obviously as
>printers can share files) with the same name before
>an install form the client.

>- Use a CUPS 2K only driver (which does not seem to
>be available as it is not usually needed or wanted)

>- Remove the old driver before installing the new
>printer. This however, totally ruins the click to
>install metaphor that Samba and CUPS provide.

It actually enhances the metapher. You need to right-
click on the background of the Printers window, choose
Properties, Drivers tab, and remove the old drivers
before right-clicking on the server's Printers share
and selecting "Install".

But if you're into scripting metapher, you may consult
M$ site, how to perform this action non-interactively and remotely.