[Samba] Workstations on a PDC using LDAP

Fermin Molina fermin at eup.udl.es
Wed Jun 11 11:51:11 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm using samba-3.0alpha23 working as a PDC.

I have configured in smb.conf the LDAP stuff:

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
ldap admin dn           = cn=Manager,dc=udl,dc=es
ldap suffix             = dc=udl,dc=es
ldap user suffix        = ou=People
ldap machine suffix     = ou=Computers

I read that workstation accounts must be created in /etc/passwd.
What is the supposed use of ou=Computers?

Why samba uses /etc/passwd? (I would use LDAP for all accounting
processes).

Is mandatory create workstation accounts in /etc/passwd? There is a way
to "bypass" it?

Thanks in advance.

/Fermin