[Samba] Can't use mount command with samba

Rohan Parkes rparkes at email.com
Tue Jun 10 21:59:21 GMT 2003

I have a home network based on Win XP Pro, with one Linux machine
running Red Hat 9. All updates have been applied. There's no domain
controller.

I can connect from the Linux machine to the XP machines via Konqueror
using
smb://mymachine/myshare

However, I can't use the mount command.

I'm trying to use syntax like

mount -t smbfs -o username=myname,password=mypwd //192.168.0.1
/win/myshare

But I always just get a print-out showing command usage, and then
demonstrating the exact syntax that I am using.

I got this from The Unofficial Samba HOWTO

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/index.html

A few other sites have demonstrated the same syntax. Samba seems to have
been correctly compiled for mounting.

I'm assuming Samba is basically working, or else I couldn't connect via
Konqueror.

--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne