[Samba] Windows XP Machines (well mostly the XP ones) hanging

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Tue Jun 10 15:54:28 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:46:44PM +1200, Mikevl wrote:
> Right I may be a little off the track here and please don't laugh as you
> read on. I had a similar problem when installing a MS SBS server with XP
> workstations SP1. The client really needed MS SQL server poor buggers.
> Anyway XP SP1 has some significant problems all on it's own. This dosn't
> show all the time on an installation and not every installation either. The
> problem is described here
> http://www.smallbizserver.net/Workstations/I_get_an_error_when_I_try_to_save_a_file_in_Office.aspx

Very interesting article thanks ! I'd also
refer people to these pages if they're having
problems with MS-Office on a network drive on XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812937

"This problem occurs when the redirector flushes the contents of the file, and writes to a file handle with read-only access instead of to a file handle with write access. When the redirector received an opportunistic lock break to none, it purged the cache for the file, but did not uninitialize the cache for the file. The redirector also needed to purge and uninitialize when the set end of file occurs because the opportunistic lock break is asynchronous. Because it did not uninitialize the cache for the file, it wrote to the incorrect file handle."

and this one :

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811492

" After you apply Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), it may take approximately 35 seconds to delete files over the network. This problem occurs approximately 10 to 15 percent of the time. A network trace of the problem shows the following frames:

Client -> Server - C NT Create & X, File : \test.txt - request for OpLock\OpBatch
Client -> Server - C Delete File, File = : \test.txt
Server -> Client - R NT Create &X, FID = 0x8003 - oplock level = Batch
Server -> Client - C Lock - Break Oplock
A delay of approximately 35 seconds occurs at this time.

Server -> Client - R Delete Status_Sharing_Violation
Client -> Server - C Lock & X, FID = 0x8003 - Break OpLock
Client -> Server - C Delete File, File = : \test.txt
Server -> Client - R Delete
The first two frames are from the client. The initial frame is an "NT Create" message with a request for Oplock/OpBatch for the file. This is followed by the "Delete" request for the same file. The next frame is the server's response to the "NT Create" request with a Oplock level of "batch." The server then sends a Break OpLock message for the previous frame so that it can delete the file. The server then waits 35 seconds (until its OpLockBreakWait time-out value has expired) before the deletion does not work. The client can then release the lock and try the deletion again.
CAUSE
When the Break Oplock request is received by the client, the client cannot process the request because it is already waiting on the Delete request. The server cannot handle the Delete request until the Oplock on the file has been released. This causes a pseudo-deadlock condition that is broken after the server's OpLockBreakWait time-out value expires.
"

(Looks like not all oplock problems are the fault of Samba :-).

Jeremy.