[Samba] Problems connecting to samba shares from w2k or XP system after configuring smb.conf file...

marvc marvc at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 10 12:37:29 GMT 2003

Hi
I'm not sure if this will help but this is how I found to resolve the
problem.
I had to run the following commands to allow the samba traffic to pass
thru my firewall:
Ipchains -F input
Ipchains -F output
Ipchains -P input ACCEPT
Ipchains -P output ACCEPT
I'm now able to see the samba server in My Network Places and click to
browse the samba shares, so it appears to be working fine. The only
problem I have is that I'm still unable to access the home folder and my
folder. The homes folder tells me access is denied and my folder prompts
me for my login credentials which aren't being accepted. Yet I created
another folder and shared it and I can access it fine. Kinda stumped on
this. If anyone can tell me if I need to modify the permissions on these
folders and what they should be I'd appreciated it. I also can't seem to
figure how to make it so that my user account has the same permissions
as either super user or root, or something similar to a Domain or
Enterprise Admin. I'm the only one using, sharing, and accessing files
on these boxes so I want the maximum privilages.

HTH
TIA