[Samba] Diagnosis Test 8 Fails only with computer name, however IP address works

Elias Dagher dagher at cox.net
Tue Jun 10 04:31:15 GMT 2003

Hi all I am trying to debug my samba setup on a linux box running Redhat 7.3, samba 2.2.8a, and we have a Windows 2000 domain controller.

I can only access my samba server using its ip address. So for example when I perform Test 8 in the diagnosis.txt I get this:

c:\> net view \\mysmbserver
System error 5 has occorred.

Access is denied.

In contrast, if I use the ip address I get:

c:\> net view \\10.10.10.65

Shared resources at \\10.10.10.65

MySmbServer

Share name        Type            Used as        Comment
myshare            Disk                                    A test share for me

The command completed successfully.

So in other words if I use the IP address every works fine and normal just like all the other samba servers on my network.

We have a Windows 2000 Controller which does our DNS and DHCP.

What could be going on here?  This is the only samba server that does this on my network.

Thanks in advance