[Samba] update encypted and LDAP

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at bangor.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 16:13:35 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I'm currently trying out samba-3.0alpha24 and moving to samba-3.0.0beta1
since we're getting into XP and encrypted passwords etc. I was hoping to
set everyone (about 13,000 users) up on an LDAP (openLDAP) server with
just the Unix crypt passwords for now and run with

encrypt passwords = no
update encrypted = yes

for a while to populate the NT/LM password hashes before going over to
encrypted passwords for everyone. (Most clients are Win 9x using plain
text passwords against NIS at the moment.)

 From what I can see and have gathered from some searching, it looks
like "update encrypted" only works with an smbpasswd file. Is this the
case? If so, has anyone out there tried living with a 13,000 line
smbpasswd file for any length of time??

Servers are Sun Solaris 9 and Linux Debian Stable if that matters.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"