[Samba] samba newbie having trouble configuring samba on RH7.3...

marvc marvc at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 8 04:42:42 GMT 2003

OK! Downloaded and installed the RPM's and everything appears to be
going pretty smooth as I can log in to swat and make the necessary
modifications. I'm going to take a minute and read over the security
options section as I'm not sure of the best option to use here. I think
I'd like to use this server simply to access files from a share on a w2k
server. These files would then be copied to the /wwwroot directory to be
posted to my web sites. Anyone have any recommendations for which option
would be best for this?
Oh and thanks again for the help on this.

Here's my "how I did it" for any newbies interested. Hopefully its
correct:
Download, Install, & Configure Samba ver2.2.7 for RH ver7.3
Download Samba ver2.2.7 RPM's
1.	Download the latest version of Samba from the following
location:
http://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386
2.	Click the samba download link on the page.
3.	The "Downloading samba-latest.tar.gz" window opens providing
options for saving the file.
4.	Make sure the "Save this file to disk" option is selected and
click "OK" to continue.
5.	The "Enter name of the file to save to." window opens prompting
you to select a location to save the file to. Select the location and
click "Save" to continue.
6.	Click the "Close" button after the download completes.
7.	Download the following Samba RPM's:
samba-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
samba-client-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
samba-swat-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm

Install Samba ver2.2.7
1.	Open a term window and navigate to the location the
"samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm" file was downloaded to:
cd /usr/local/samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
2.	Type the following command to install the
"samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm" rpm file:
rpm -ivh samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
3.	The files are installed and you should see "100%" as a sign of
completion.
following command:
rpm -ivh samba-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
5.	The files are installed and you should see "100%" as a sign of
completion.
typing the following command:
rpm -ivh samba-client-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
7.	The files are installed and you should see "100%" as a sign of
completion.
8.	Lastly install the "samba-swat-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm" file by
typing the following command:
rpm -ivh samba-swat-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
9.	The files are installed and you should see "100%" as a sign of
completion.

Configure Samba ver2.2.7
1.	Now that we've downloaded and configured samba onto our system,
we need to edit the necessary file(s) to make the configuration changes
we want. First let's check to make sure all of our samba files are
installed. Do this by typing the following command:
rpm -qa | grep samba
2.	This should return the following:
samba-swat-2.2.7-3.7.3
samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.3
samba-2.2.7-3.7.3
samba-client-2.2.7-3.7.3
3.	This output informs us of all of the files installed with samba,
including swat.

Start the Samba Service and SWAT
4.	Now we need to start the samba service. We do this by first
navigating to the /samba directory:
cd /etc/samba
5.	Now we type the following command:
service smb start
6.	You should see the following:
Starting SMB services:	[OK]
Starting NMB services:	[OK]
7.	You can also confirm the status of the samba service by using
the "Service Configuration Tool". This tool allows you to stop and start
the service via a GUI interface.
8.	While inside of the "Service Configuration Tool" you also want
to make sure the following services are checked and started:
smb - Acronym for the Samba service
swat - the swat service
xinetd -
9.	At this point the samba service is started and you're ready to
log in to the swat tool.
10.	Open a web browser and type the following in the "Address"
field:
http://127.0.0.1:901
11.	This allows you to connect to swat on the local server at port
901.
12.	If all goes well you should see a login window prompting you to
 "Enter username and password for SWAT at 127.0.0.1:901".

Note: if all didn't go well you were greeted with the following error
after trying to access swat: "The connection was refused when attempting
to contact 127.0.0.1:901". This is due to a modification that needs to
be made to the "swat" file.

13.	Open a term window and navigate to the /etc/inetd directory and
locate the "swat" file.
14.	Right-click this file, select "Open With", and choose "GNU
Emacs" or "gedit".
15.	Go to the last line of the file and make sure the following is
showing:
disable = no
16.	This means if you see "Yes", change it to "no". Save and close
the file when finished.
17.	After saving and closing this file you need to restart the
"xinetd" service. Do this by navigating to the "/etc" directory and
typing the following command:
cd /etc
Service xinetd stop
Stopping xinetd:	[OK]
Service xinetd start
Starting xinetd: 	[OK]
18.	Now go back to your web browser and attempt to access swat by
typing the following in the "Address" field:
127.0.0.1:901
19.	You should now see a window prompting you to "Enter username and
password for "SWAT" at 127.0.0.1:901".
20.	Enter the requested info and you should be taken to the "Samba
Welcome" window.

Modify the "Samba Configuration File (smb.conf)"
21.	While still logged in to SWAT click on "Globals" on the home
page menu.
22.	The "Global Variables" window opens. Lets begin by making some
changes to this section:
a.	Workgroup - add the name of your domain here.
b.	Server String - the name of the server as you want it to appear
in "My Network Places" on your Windows 2000 network.
23.	Next go to the "Security Options" section and make the following
change(s):
c.	Click
d.