[Samba] Re: Accepting Time Server

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Sun Jun 8 01:52:16 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 16:36, SoloCDM wrote:

> How does Microsoft Windows know to grab the time off the Linux server?

In regards to Samba's time service the Windows system simply performs a
"net time /set" command, executed manually or via a script.

> Is ntpd needed on the Linux server to execute net time?

Not to use Samba's time service which emulates the NT4 time service.

Samba's time service is most useful for Win9x systems as there are no
security constraints that prevent the above "net time /set" command from
properly executing. For Windows 2k/XP, users without admin privileges
cannot succesfully execute said command so its usefulness in a log on
script for these machines is normally dubious. For Win2k/XP it is more
desirable to run an ntp server and use the "net time /setsntp:1.2.3.4"
where 1.2.3.4 represents the IP address of the ntp server command and
these systems will sync periodically with said ntp server.

In my case I run both xntpd and the Samba time service. If the logon
script finds a Win9x/ME box it runs the proper "net time /set" command,
otherwise it doesn't as the 2k and XP boxes will use the ntp service.