[Samba] samba newbie having trouble configuring samba on RH7.3...

Sameer Zeidat sameerz at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 22:52:50 GMT 2003

Hi ..

I didn't read the whole conversation regarding this problem. So, my
advice might not be what you want.

However, why are you compiling from source? Why not use RedHat RPM
packages instead. It will make your life much easier, and for a newbie
the default build config would suffice, I guess.

The lates RedHat RPMs for Samba are of version 2.2.7 (They do contain
the recent security bugfix). Unless you really want a feature available
only in 2.2.8a (which is unlikely), I think that 2.2.7 would do the job
for you.

Here're the links:

http://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/samba-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
http://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/samba-client-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
http://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/samba-swat-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm
http://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/samba-common-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm

Just download all to a directory, and do this to install all four:
# rpm -Uvh samba-*.rpm

RedHat has the default configuration files for samba in '/etc/samba'.
You can look at the default smb.conf and change it to your needs. It's
well commented.