[Samba] Samba & Sage Line 50 Accounting

Louis Sabet louis at mobiles.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 08:53:51 GMT 2003

--On Thursday, June 05, 2003 15:33:01 +0000 jra at dp.samba.org wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:35:20AM +0100, Louis Sabet wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Having a very specific problem here:
>>
>> I have a working RedHat9 server running Samba 2.2.7 (the release that
>> comes  with RH9), acting as a PDC/File Server to around 15 WinXP Pro
>> client  workstations.
>>
>> This all works nicely, apart from our accounting package, Sage Line 50,
>> which depends on its data being stored on a network share.
>>
>> Previously, when the data was stored on a WinNT4 share, there was no
>> problem, several users could concurrently connect into the database and
>> work simultaneously.
>>
>> Now, using samba, this isn't possible. Sage will only allow one user to
>> log  in and access the DB at any one time. As soon as that user logs
>> out, the  next user can log in. This isn't normal Sage behaviour.
>
> Can you give the exact error message please. Also please upgrade to
> Samba 2.2.8a for security reasons.
>
> Jeremy.

Hi Jeremy,

Actually there is no error message, just odd behaviour.

On NT4, Sage data was stored on a normal NT share, and multiple users could
connect into the data quite happily using the Sage front-end application.

On Samba, the data is now on an smb share, and when more than one user
tries to connect, the first user connects fine, but subsequent users sit
waiting at a screen claiming it is "connecting to server...". This goes on
indefinitely until such point as the first client disconnects, at which
point the next user's machine (which was previously just "connecting to
server...") connects immediately.

The packages installed are:
[root at grampa root]# rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0
samba-common-2.2.7a-7.9.0
samba-client-2.2.7a-7.9.0

So I guess I'm OK security-wise (presume this is the security rollup
version?)

My smb.conf at present is devoid of oplocks-related entries as I'm having a
bit of a tough time deciding exactly how to use them. I have however
already tried disabling them, having followed a bunch of googled newsgroup
threads, but nothing I do seems to change the behaviour I described above.

Best Regards

Louis Sabet - IT Manager
http://www.mobiles.co.uk
http://www.gadgets.co.uk