[Samba] NT4 to Samba Migration

Yeri Swamy yswamy at iternalinc.com
Thu Jun 5 18:19:20 GMT 2003

I dowloaded from samba.org samba-3.0alpha24..
I refered http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
chapter 31

it also mentioned in the how chapter 31 that it is a rough explanation
but i decided to follow this and started doing things as i explaned below

i looked google and samba mailing lists i did'nt see anything related to
my problem anywhere

Trying to Migrate from NT4 to Samba but i am unsuccessful in doing that
Either no where it is mentioned what smb.conf parameters to be set..

I started doing this by refering to the above chapter 31

1)Created the BDC account in NT using Server Manager
  According to Howto i have not started Samba

2)
   #rpcclient NT4PDC -U Administrator%password
   rpcclient>lsaquery
   domain WORKGROUP has sid S-1-5-21-2005620710-1318861517-1539857752
   rpcclient>
3)
   #net getsid -S NT4PDC -w WORKGROUP -U Administrator%password
    i get the error getsid not found???
   but i contnued to next step
4)
    #net getlocalsid
    [2003/06/05 13:48:08, 0] utils/net.c:net_getlocalsid(388)
    Can't fetch domain SID for name: PRUTHVI

    i contnued :-( ...by setting local SID to above SID i got using
     #net setlocalsid S-1-5-21-2005620710-1318861517-1539857752

5)
  #net rpc join -S NT4PDC -w WORKGROUP -U Administrator%password
   Joined domain ITERNAL.

In the howto chapter 31 it is not mentioned whether we have to start
winbindd?? or not???

Anyway i decided to start winbindd

#/etc/init.d/winbind start
Starting Winbind services:	[OK]

and contnued..
#wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded

6)
#net rpc vampire -S NT4PDC -UAdministrator%password

it printed lot of output on the screen
In that it says it has created users groups of NT

7)
  #pdbedit -L
  idmap uid range defined, non unix accounts enabled
  idmap uid range defined, non unix accounts enabled
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username
Administrator with uid 2147483398 is not in unix passwd database!
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username Guest with
uid 99 is not in unix passwd database!
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username NT4PDC$ with
uid 0 is not in unix passwd database!
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username WORKGROUP03$
with uid
2 is not in unix passwd database!
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username WORKGROUP04
with uid 4 is not in unix passwd database!
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username WORKGROUP10$
with uid
6 is not in unix passwd database!
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username user1$ with
uid 7
is not in unix passwd database!
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username user1 with
uid 10

  i really don;t know what this means it is error/success
  According to howto now users are migrated

i have not started samba Yet...
i belive at this point users are not migrated

i don;t want to continue further according to howto.. till i am clear up
until now everything is fine.

Do i have to start samba now??? so that it will start working or what do
i have to do now??? what i am missing???

Can any one please help me in this

If you want any further info let me know

with best Regards
YS