[Samba] Samba as PDC with WinXP Clients -> headache ?

Leroy van Logchem Leroy.vanLogchem at wldelft.nl
Thu Jun 5 12:42:38 GMT 2003

Hi,

I had the same problems you descripted but here it's all good now :)
Running samba 2.2.5 as PDC for 475+ WinXP clients, each using 6 shares
at least.

> deadtime =120 and we have not had a complaint about lost drives for 3
> days

So far so good...

> during the investigations we found that even though win xp had
> completely logged out (even turned off the maching in one case) the user
> was still appearing in smbstatus

Same here last week.

>> #   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
>> SO_RCVBUF=4096

Got ya...  change that to:

socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY
read raw = Yes
write raw = Yes

And make sure your OS's tcp-stack  tcp time wait interval is lowered:
On SunOS it's configured with ndd -set /dev/tcp :
TCP_CLOSE_WAIT_INTERVAL=30000
On Linux it's configured with /etc/sysctl.conf  / sysctl -p
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 5000    <-- Play with this and do netstat
-an | grep "WAIT" | wc -l   (must be low)
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 30

Goodluck,
Leroy
The Netherlands