[Samba] Samba as PDC with WinXP Clients -> headache!!

Mal Beaton mal at mbeaton.id.au
Thu Jun 5 10:55:02 GMT 2003

We have been doing some extensive work with samba2.2.3 and win xp sp1
and have experienced similar problems

Intermittantly users could not locate their roaming profiles on first
login in the morning. Sometimes second login would work sometimes not.

then at random intervals during the day they would lose their drives

the first thing we tried

deadtime = 1

that fixed the login in the morning problem and users seem to be happier
(no complaints)

but they were losing their network drives at irregular intervals
sometimes reconnecting straight away sometimes not

we changed it to

deadtime =120 and we have not had a complaint about lost drives for 3 days

during the investigations we found that even though win xp had
completely logged out (even turned off the maching in one case) the user
was still appearing in smbstatus

This was identified in an article sent to the samb lists about samba not
recognising win xp logoffs

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316740
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323582

I havent tried these yet.

but for the users deadtime =120 seems to have assisted

let me know how you go

--
Mal

http://mbeaton.id.au:5537/